One of the dishes that I have made several times is this Mexican Casserole.
The original recipe calls for ground meat but I used ground turkey in mine. I am trying to watch the calories as well as the carbs.
This recipe goes together quickly and is quite tasty. I serve it with sour cream and chives and a side salad and I am good to go.
I am finding that I don't really miss the breads and pastas and rice. I don't even miss the sweets. I do have some dark chocolate each day. That's my treat.
For this casserole, brown the meat, add in the tomatoes and taco seasoning and cook until heated through. Place in casserole dish and add cheese. Bake and eat.
Low Carb Mexican Casserole
· 1½ lbs (700 g) ground beef or ground turkey
· 1 can Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilies
· 2 oz. (56 g) pickled jalapeños (optional)
· ½ lb (200 g) shredded cheese, for example Monterey Jack
· 1 cup (240 ml) sour cream
· 1 handful chives or green onions, finely chopped·
Make your own Taco seasoning (or use your favorite package)
· 2 teaspoons chili powder, mild
· 2 teaspoons paprika powder
· 1 teaspoon cumin powder
· 1 – 2 teaspoons onion or garlic powder
· 1 pinch cayenne pepper
· 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Fry the ground beef and add taco seasoning and tomatoes.
- Place the ground-beef mix in a baking dish with jalapenos and cheese on top. Bake on upper rack in oven for 15–20 minutes.
- Chop the chives finely and mix in with the sour cream.
- Serve with sour cream and a green salad.
Linking to these parties: