I did not put the onions in this batch, since my stomach doesn't like them. You can change up the cheeses to suit what you like, these make a great combo.
I divided the chicken mixture among 6 flour tortillas, that is all I had on hand. I placed them in the dish with the seam side down.
Next I made the roux.
I added the sour cream and green chilies to the roux and poured it over the tortillas. Added the remaining cheese and baked it at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Yummy!
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
1 lb shredded chicken breast(can used a roasted chicken)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
8 flour tortillas, softened (8 inches each)
1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack cheese or 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese, divided
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
1. In frypan, cook onion in oil over medium-high heat until golden. Add shredded chicken and heat through.
2. Divide cooked chicken evenly between 8 tortillas; add 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese to each tortilla.
3. Roll enchiladas and place seam-side down in 9x13" baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour to make a roux; stir and cook until bubbly; gradually whisk in chicken broth then bring to boiling, stirring frequently.
5. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and green chiles; pour sauce evenly over enchiladas.
6. Top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese (baking dish may be double-wrapped and frozen at this point) and bake at 400F for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce near edges of baking dish is bubbly.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.