FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Simple LOVE Sign

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Simple LOVE Sign


Many of you have been posting wonderful Valentine's Day ideas. I am not doing too much this year since I will be out of town during that time. I have some decorations from last year, but wanted something new. While cleaning in the garage, I came across these old rulers and this board. Just maybe?
Eclectic Red Barn: Supplies for making a LOVE sign

The one ruler was broken. It was one of those that twists to open and makes a yard, but part of it was missing. See the rivet(I think that is what it is called) that held them together.
Eclectic Red Barn: Ruler for making a LOVE sign

I wasn't sure if I had enough of the ruler to make the "LOVE" letters. The board was rather beat up, but that works for me. I applied some stain and let it dry.

The rulers on the other side were white so I used them as is. 

Meanwhile, I got out my Ryobi 7 1/4 in. Compound Miter saw. This is my favorite one. Small enough to work with, easy to use, multiple uses. We have a big one, but it is so heavy, this is very light. They run around $90 at Home Depot. The rulers were not thick, so you could cut them with a miter box if you don't have a compound miter saw.
Eclectic Red Barn: Ryobi compound miter saw used to make a LOVE sign
I cut pieces for all the letters except for the "O" and sanded them a little. I would find something else for that. A heart would work. I traced one onto a piece of wood and using a jig saw, cut it out. You could always purchased a wooden heart at the craft store.

I laid all the pieces on the board and began to glue them in place. 
Eclectic Red Barn:  LOVE sign with letters glued into place

I painted the heart red. While it was drying, I went in search of something to put on it. I found a scrap of lace and a button and glued them on.

I needed a hanger. I found this small piece of barbed wire that was very thin compared to the other pieces I had. Perfect! I used my drill press to drill two holes at the top.
Eclectic Red Barn:  LOVE sign hanging at door with barbed wire hanger
 Still not completely content with it, I added some ribbon.
Eclectic Red Barn:  LOVE sign with ribbon added
I was able to clean up a few items in the garage (if you can call it that) and create a nice Valentine's Day sign as well.
Eclectic Red Barn:  From scraps of wood to Valentine's Day sign
It was a small dent in the garage, but I need to start somewhere. What else is waiting for me out there?


Featured on:
The post Simple LOVE Sign first appeared on Eclectic Red Barn.

Linking to these parties:
Thursday Favorite Things Buttoncook itThe Dedicated HouseRooted In ThymeThrifty Thursday SquareCraft Frenzy FridaybuttonEmbracing Change Inspire Me MondayA Stroll Thru Lifewow-me_thumb1_thumb1Domesblissity

1 comment :

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...