FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Warm Up with Pasta e Fagioli

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Warm Up with Pasta e Fagioli

This has certainly been a crazy winter. I know everyone up north is waiting for spring. We have even felt the cold affects down here in Florida. Much cooler temps than usual. So as the temperature drops, it is great to warm up with some soup. I have always loved Olive Garden's Pasta e Fagioli soup and when I came across this recipe, I decided to try it. I don't know where it came from, I only have a photo copy.   It turned out great.
Eclectic Red Barn: Pasta E Fagioli Soup
It is not hard to make, but you do have to chop a lot. You could cut this time down by buying already chopped vegetables, but that would cost more. Depends on how much time you have.
 As I was buying the ingredients, tomato sauce was buy one get one and the V-8 large size was on sale (cheaper than the smaller one). So I thought I would make a double batch. Love to put leftovers in the freezer.

So I got out my large Le Creuset pot and started to brown the meat. Added the chopped vegetables to the meat. So far so good. As I was adding the beans, I was starting to wonder.
Eclectic Red Barn: Pasta E Fagioli Soup Cooking
By the time I hit the liquid, I knew I was in trouble. This pot was not going to hold everything. Get another Le Creuset pot. 


Eclectic Red Barn: Pasta E Fagioli Soup Cooking

Now I have soup everywhere. I hope we like this?
Fortunately, we loved it.

My husband came home and said, "I don't think you made enough".  I was able to put two large and one extra large containers in the freezer.  I served it with some wheat rolls and it seemed to warm up the night. 
Eclectic Red Barn: Pasta E Fagioli Soup

Best part is that I still have more for other cool nights.

Recipe:                                                                                                                     Print


Pasta e Fagioli
 Eclectic Red Barn: Pasta E Fagioli Soup
Ingredients:
2 oz. of any small uncooked pasta
1 pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced carrot
2 (14 ½ oz cans) italian diced tomatoes
15 oz can navy beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
11 ½ oz V-8 juice
15 oz can tomato  sauce
3 cups beef broth
1 cup water
1 tablespoon vinegar1
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano


Directions:

Bring a large saucepan, half-filled with water to a rolling boil. Add pasta and follow directions on package until cooked al dente. Drain pasta and set aside.
While pasta is cooking, brown beef in a nonstick pot. When it is almost cooked, add garlic, onion, celery and carrot to the beef and let them all cook for about 5 minutes. Add all of the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT for the pasta. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes. Stir in the pasta and cook for another 15 minutes. Makes 10 one-cup servings.

So if you are looking for a great warm me up, stick to our ribs soup, try this pasta e fagioli. However, you may not want to double the recipe, unless you have many to feed or you like left overs.


Feature button

Linking to these parties:
 Linky PartyYour Whims WednesdayI would love to have you join me for my link party, Share Your Cup!thursday favorite things blog hopAll Things Thursday Blog HopThrifty Thursday Linky Party at LivingWellSpendingLess.com! HereThe Girl Creative Our DelightfulHomeIn and Out of the Kitchen Link Party

10 comments :

  1. oh that does look good. That did make a lot but it's nice to have some in the freezer to pull out for a quick meal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy- I make a vegetarian version. Yep, lots of chopping! Visiting from SYC. Happy Valentine's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may make this in the coming weekend...thanks for sharing on the Thursday blog hop! Looks so delicious! Hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks comforting and delicious.
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love pasta dishes.

    Coming from Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop! Come-by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made this in a while. Yours looks delish. Thank you for helping to make the Thursday Favorite Things Blog hop so much fun. Big Hugs ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good! I make this soup all the time but your ingredients are so different....V8 juice?! Must try! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favorite soups. Have never made it myself. Pinning. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like the perfect cold weather meal. I'll definitely be trying it. Thanks for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by to thank you for sharing at One More Time Events and to let you know you have been featured. Hope to see you at this weeks party…Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...