FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Tasty Mango Jam

Monday, July 20, 2015

Tasty Mango Jam

Mangoes are getting bigger on my trees and you can find mangoes in most supermarkets.  I love mango season with all of the mango recipes. 

I have made so many recipes with mangoes, but today I am sharing my recipe for mango jam.

Mango Jam toast breakfast

This was the first time that I have made mango jam so it was a learning experience for me. I used a recipe from Allrecipes. I reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup based on reviews.  However, the first batch did not thicken like jam should.

It tasted great, but too runny. I used it in some other recipes so not wasted. I did not want to use Sure-jel to thicken the jam. It uses too much sugar. 

Did some research about making jam and found out that you need to use unripened mangoes. I had used very ripe ones. It seems that the unripened ones have more pectin and loses it as it ripens. Next batch was yummy. 

Mango Jam toast breakfast

The third batch was the best. We don't eat a lot of toast but I love to use it in baking. I made Mango Cream Cheese Danish with the jam. I have some other desserts that I think the jam will work well with. These Jam Muffins would be great with my mango jam. 


Mango Jam toast

I did not include a tutorial on making jam since there are many videos and directions on Pinterest and the Internet on how to make jam.

Recipe                                                                                                      Print

Mango Jam

recipe from allrecipes - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mango-jam/
mango jam.jpg
Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds ripe mangoes
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3 saffron threads

Directions:

  1. Peel 4 - 5 fresh mangoes, making sure they are not too ripe. Cut mango into small pieces.
  2. Place the sugar and water in a large saucepan over low heat, stir mixture, and bring to a boil. When mixture begins boiling, increase heat to medium-high. Add cut up mangoes and the saffron threads, if desired, and boil until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. I cooked mine a little longer.
  3. Pour cooked jam into sterilized jars and seal according to canning directions.


Makes 3 cups.

The post Mango Jam first appeared on Eclectic Red Barn.

Linking to these parties:
What did you makeProject Inspired What a great idea Treasure Box Tuesday 82Fluster Buster
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...