FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Giving New Life to a Cracked Chair

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Giving New Life to a Cracked Chair

I bought this chair many years ago. I have always been a sucker for old chairs. This one needed someone to take it home and that would be me. Although I bought this before moving to Florida 7 years ago, I still remember when I bought it. Strange, I know. 
Eclectic Red Barn: Old Chair with cracked seat

I went to a farm house sale and bought a few things and this chair was sitting there. I loved it but the seat was cracked. The owner said I could have it for 50 cents. How could I turn it down? I knew one day I would fix it. It kept getting moved into the background until a few months ago. (Can you believe that I didn't fix it for almost 7 years?)

I glued the seat together and clamped it. To make it even more secure, my husband added some round washers over the crack, on the under side so that it would not come undone.
Eclectic Red Barn: Cracked chair seat

Once it was glued and dried, I sanded the chair. 

Eclectic Red Barn: Glued chair seat

Now to paint it. I used an antique white chalk paint. I liked it but thought it needed a little something so I painted a couple of stripes on the seat - two narrow ones and one fatter one. 
Eclectic Red Barn: Painted stripes on chair seat

This chair has to be the most comfortable chair to sit in. It just seems to conform to your bottom.


Eclectic Red Barn: Fixed and painted old broken chair
I distressed it a little and I applied wax to the chair. I just loved it. 

Eclectic Red Barn: Before and After on the broken chair
Not sure why I waited so long to update this chair, but so glad I finally did.

Eclectic Red Barn: Updated Old Chair with accessories

It just seems to go in so many places in my home. You can't even see where it was cracked and it is so functional.


Linking to these parties:
wow-me_thumb1_thumb1Friday-Features-Linky-Party-Oh-My-Heartsie-GirlDagmarBleasdale.com link party

7 comments :

  1. Hi Beverly! This is such an awesome makeover, I am featuring you today at Thursday Favorite Things! I am all about blue grain stripe right now, and I am sharing a post this weekend full of blue grain stripe inspiration and some DIY pillow covers I made. You might enjoy those post. Thanks for linking up to TFT and I hope you will join us again this week!https://followtheyellowbrickhome.com/welcoming-summer-at-thursday-favorite-things/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber,
      Thank you so much for featuring my updated cracked chair. I love blue stripes too. Looking for to seeing your post this weekend. Love anything with stripes.
      Have a lovely day.
      Hugs,
      Bev

      Delete
  2. Wonderful makeover... I have a chair that I'm going to do this to! Thanks for the inspiration! Do you have a Pinterest button for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,
      What a sweet comment on my chair. I appreciate it. I do have a Pinterest button. Just hover over the pic and the button is there.
      Hugs,
      Bev

      Delete
  3. Hi Beverly, this finish is just perfect for a farmhouse chair makeover. I have a thing for old chairs as well, one day my dinette set will be complete with a full set of mismatched beauties! Thanks for sharing at #FridaysFurnitureFix, your project is this weeks feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda,
      I am a sucker for old chairs. I think a set of mismatched chairs would be amazing. I need to look for more chairs. I can't wait to see your set one day.
      Hugs,
      Bev

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...