FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Granite although strong, can break!

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Granite although strong, can break!

Do you have granite counter tops?  Or have dreamed of having them? Those hugh pieces of heavy stone. 

It's hard to break stone, right? Wrong!


Eclectic Red Barn: cabinet with granite counter top

I found out just how easily they can crack. Yikes!
When they installed my counter tops a few years ago, I had a large piece left over. Off to the barn it went and hubby and I placed it on top of two cabinets so I could use it to work on.

Eclectic Red Barn: Barn being ready for painting
Here it is on the left side of the barn as we move things around so I could get ready to paint.

Do you feel like it gets messier before it gets better? I do. Why is that?

I cleaned the right side out so I could get to the wall to start painting.
Eclectic Red Barn: Painting walls in the barn
The paint is a pale green. It is hard to tell, but you can see the difference between the painted wall and the part not painted.
Eclectic Red Barn: Painted walls versus no painted wall

Do you ever get excited about painted walls? They are so clean and look so fresh. I was so pleased to have them painted, well at least part of the barn. Still have the rest to do but that's for another day.

Now my hubby wanted me to keep the cabinets on the left side with the granite, but I wanted them on the right. What can go wrong? 

We moved the granite onto a rolling table between the cabinets and then moved it with the cabinets to the other side. All was going well. Cabinets were in place and we were just about to move the granite top onto the cabinets. It is already partly on the cabinets.

I was holding onto one end(heavy little bugger) and my husband was at the other end and just as we began to slide it off the rolling cabinet, it literally broken into two pieces.
 I stood there, stunned as it began cracking in two. 

Now what? We pushed it onto the cart. I didn't want to change the span of the cabinets, but my granite top was in two pieces. 


Fortunately my husband found two boards that were long enough to reach the cabinets and strong enough to hold the granite. We put the new boards on and then moved the two pieces of granite on top.


My husband headed to Home Depot for granite patch and he fixed it. The granite had so much veining going on that it turned out pretty good. Here is the repaired crack.
Eclectic Red Barn: Cracked granite repaired

 The granite is in place and all is well!
 
Eclectic Red Barn: Cabinets and granite in barn workshop


To make the board match the cabinets, I mixed together two stains and applied it to the board under the granite. What do you think?


Eclectic Red Barn: Cabinets and boards under granite stained
The granite didn't fit tight against the back wall because of the molding around the bottom, so he found some other boards and I used the same stain on them. Now I had a new back splash.
Eclectic Red Barn: Cabinets and backsplash on granite

It is a great place to work on projects. I am glad that we moved the cabinets to this side of the barn even though we did crack the granite. Who would think that granite would crack so easily? It can be repaired however. 

Now, on to the other side of the barn. One of these days, it  just might all be finished.


 
The post  Granite although strong, can break! first appeared on Eclectic Red Barn.

Linking to these parties:
blogging tips, recipes, crafts, holiday entertaining, kidsTHE SCOOP #217{nifty button}

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...