What a great combination of flavors. The filling is wonderful - cream cheese with chocolate chips just adds a delectable taste to these cupcakes.
They went together quickly and I love the look of these cupcakes. You could color the cream cheese mixture to change it for a holiday. Some put the cream cheese in the middle with more chocolate batter on top. I put my cream cheese on top. I did make a few of my cupcakes with chocolate batter on top and although they were good, I liked the look of the ones with cream cheese on top.
They look and taste great just the way they are - no frosting needed. I am so glad I tried these. Hope you like them too.
The post Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes first appeared on Eclectic Red Barn.
Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil or ( unsweetened applesauce)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, 2 cups sugar, cocoa, 1 teaspoon salt and baking soda. Stir in oil, water, vinegar and vanilla until blended. Pour mixture into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
- To make the filling: In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, egg, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt until light and fluffy. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop a heaping teaspoonful of the cream cheese mixture into each cupcake. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Allow to cool.
* Makes 24 cupcakes.
Linking to these parties: