The mirror was so dirty you could not tell what kind of wood it was. The people who had the barn sale, said the mirror was in the house when they bought the farm. Not sure how old the house was. In addition to being dirty, it needed some work.
I thought about painting it, but decided against it. I wanted to see how well it cleaned up first. The one end was coming apart. I had to glue it back together. You can see the
gap where the mirror is separating from the frame.
The back had three boards holding the mirror in. I removed the boards and was surprised to see this stamped on the mirror. Looks like it was made in Boston. The date on it was Mar 21, 1919. That was so exciting to see. Not sure if that is how old the piece is or just the mirror.
The mirror cleaned up rather well considering its age. Next it was time to clean up all that grime on the wood frame. I used some stripper on it and it came off nicely. It was oak. Not a fancy mirror, but pretty.
I put the original boards back on, but used my picture framing tool to secure them. I didn't want to put back the old nails. There is a "sold to" note on the board.
I had the wire that was on the mirror, but not sure if it was original. It was frayed in some places, so I replaced it with new wire and then wrapped the old wire around it.
I love how it turned out and the date on the mirror was a special treat.
Linking to these parties: