FFf Eclectic Red Barn: It's National Cookie Day !

Monday, September 30, 2013

It's National Cookie Day !

What a great day to celebrate - National Cookie Day! Who doesn't like cookies, they are awesome! Although I love most desserts, a good cookie will win me over every time. I don't make many cookies these days, but use to when the kids were little. One of their favorites was gingerbread cookies. This recipe is from my Grandmother and every time I look at her recipe, I just laugh. She lists the ingredients, in most cases, but no directions. Most of her recipes are this way. You really hope you can figure them out. 
Not only do I have her recipe, but also the bowl she used to mix them in.
We called it her gingerbread bowl and I don't remember her using it for anything else. It certainly shows it age, but works just fine.
 It even has a chip out of it. I still love it.
Mix all the ingredients in bowl and then add the flour. The dough will be slightly sticky. I use dark molasses. You can use light, but I like the darker flavor.

 Dough will be slightly sticky.
Sprinkle your surface with flour and work it in to make it stiff, but not too stiff. I know that sounds confusing.

Divide the dough in thirds. Roll out the dough to about a quarter of an inch thick. This will make them softer, if you make it thinner, they will be more crispy.
 Place them on a cookie sheet. Leave some room for expansion.

Here is a pan that has been baked.
This makes about 8 dozen cookies, depending on the size of the cookie cutter. It is a great recipe for bake sales. Lots of cookies and kids all seem to love them, especially when you can use different shaped cookie cutters. 
I even made some pumpkin shapes for Halloween. You could decorate these with icing or add raisins or other decorations for Halloween. Sometimes I put eyes and buttons on the gingerbread man and woman. You can even let the kids do the decorating.

Hope you are able to enjoy a cookie today to celebrate - National Cookie Day! I know I am!!!

Recipe:                                                       Print Recipe:

Rolled Gingerbread Cookies

 


Ingredients:


2 c. shortening
2 c. molasses
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons cloves
1 teaspoon salt
10 - 12 cups flour to stiffen


Combine shortening, molasses and sugar, cream until light. Add eggs. Pour in boiling water and mix.Combine all spices and add to batter. Add flour until a stiff ball forms. I add about 10 cups of flour and use the rest to roll out the dough. It may vary.


Roll out on floured board. Cut into shapes using cookie cutters. Make sure to dip cookie cutters into flour before cutting out the shapes. It will keep the dough from sticking.


Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. This may vary depending on your oven.


This makes about 8 dozen cookies, depending on the size of the cookie cutter.


Some of my favorite parties to link to:
 In and Out of the Kitchen Link PartyOne Project at a Time Link party - ABFOLLinky PartyWhat did you makeCherished Handmade TreasuresYour Whims WednesdayWednesday Whatsits ButtonReal Family Fun Link Partythursday favorite things blog hopAll Things Thursday Blog Hop

3 comments :

  1. I love gingerbread cookies. The only time I make cookies any more is at Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beverly! I'm loving the fact that you are using your grandma's bowl that is just adorable. And the pumpkin shape cookies are just what I was needing for these season since I really don't eat pumpkin..I guess it will be my way of having my pumpkins and enjoy them! Thank you for sharing at the Fluster Buster Party.
    Lizy your party co host

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost smell these amazing cookies! Love those pumpkin shaped ones too! You've got me dreaming of Christmas now. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...