FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Have you tried Bar Keepers Friend?

Monday, March 25, 2013

Have you tried Bar Keepers Friend?

 
Have you ever seen a piece of silver or brass and thought, I like it but it is in bad shape. Well, all of the pieces that you see below were those kind of pieces(one is missing from this picture) - some more than others. I got all of them for $2 so I said, what the heck!


                                I brought the pieces home and grabbed the Bar Keepers Friend.
                                I love this stuff and if you have never tried it, I suggest that you do.


Sometimes I like the aging silver pieces and then there are times, when they really do need to be cleaned. I find they develop a great look once I clean them and just let them age again. 
You can find it in most stores and it comes in a powder and liquid form. I have both and used the liquid on these pieces.   It is great to clean pots and pans, gets out rust, works on porcelain, etc. 

First item was a silver tray. You can see the difference in these two pictures. 

                                         After                                                                                         Before

The second item was a brass bowl. 

                                  Before                                                                          After

The third item I picked was a Benedict sugar bowl. 

                                 Before                                                                         After                                      

The last item in the group was a silver candlestick holder.

                                                        Before                                                                       After

Sorry about the glare, but the sun is shinning and providing a glare. The candlestick holder was in the worst condition and turned out beautifully.  Here are all of the cleaned pieces.


I just love how they turned out. Now, you may not get ALL of the grime off and some pieces may not clean up well. It will depend on what it is made of. However, most things clean up nicely. I use it on all of my pots and pans to make the bottoms shine.


So if you have never tried it, you might want to pick some up and find a crusty piece of silver and see what treasure you uncover.


Linking to these parties:

Through My Creative MindThe Chicken ChickPractically FunctionalPJH DesignsA Diamond in the StuffMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia homeworkThe DIY Dreamer Photobucketkatherines cornerMom On TimeoutPractically Functional

26 comments :

  1. How I love Barkeepers Friend! I have a friend who was going to replace her stainless steel sink until I showed her it could be restored with just this powder. I have some brass lined up for the treatment soon. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about the stainless steel sink, use it on it all the time, but one day I put it on some silver and wow. Love this stuff.
      Thanks fore stopping by and leaving a comment.
      Have a great day,
      Bev

      Delete
  2. Ohhh...I have a bunch of stuff I could do this on!
    Thanks for sharing on Monday's Show and Tell at Through My Creative Mind.

    Jen
    throughmycreativemind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen,
      Always glad to share on Monday's Show and Tell. glad you could stop by and leave a comment. You love love bar keepers.
      Have a great day,
      Bev

      Delete
  3. That is great!! They came out fabulous, thanks for the tip and thanks for coming by and following my blog.
    Your new follower,

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret,
      I was glad to stop by and look around. Thank you for your lovely comment. Bar Keepers is so great.
      Have a great week,
      Bev

      Delete
  4. Hi Bev. Thanks for stopping by and becoming my new follower. I'm following you now too. Love all your silver and especially that cool brass bowl. Sounds like you got a real deal on them too. Nice!
    Liz @ Quirky Vistas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz,
      Thanks for your sweet comment on my silver and brass bowl. I am not sure what I am going to do with that brass bowl yet. I'm sure something will come up.
      Thanks for following me back.
      Have a great week,
      Bev

      Delete
  5. You know I keep hearing about this product and have NEVER tried it - have to get some - and your silver is beautiful!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just a great product. You will love it. I keep finding new uses for it. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting.
      Have a great weekend,
      Bev

      Delete
  6. These were great finds, Bev. I pretty much consider Bar Keepers Friend a "little miracle in a bottle or can!" It certainly worked beautifully on your pieces.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      I agree with you, the miracle in a bottle. You want to say, where have you been all of my life? lol!
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
      Have a blessed weekend,
      Bev

      Delete
  7. Love that stuff! We use it on our bathtub to whenever something scratches it up. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessi,
      I have never tried it on a bathtub. I will need to check that out. Always some new way to use this stuff.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
      Hvae a blessed day,
      Bev

      Delete
  8. I got a lot of 18 pcs of antique english sterling/copper over silver at the auction. 3 beautiful teapots, an awesome tray and many other pcs... so old is BLACK with tarnish. If I have some time between Dr
    s appt's this week I will wash some of it and then try the polish you suggest... I have 2 cans of it. If I remember I will let you know how it came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you got some great silver finds. I always say, "the dirtier the better". I just love old teapots. I hope they clean up nice for you. I hope you can let me know.
      Have a great day,
      Bev

      Delete
  9. Hi Kathy,
    Glad I found your party. I'm sure to link up again.
    Have a great week,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Hi Diana,
      Yes, I did get some great finds that day. Loved all those pieces.
      Thanks for commenting and stopping by,
      Bev

      Delete
  11. We love Barkeepers Friend but I did not know there was a liquid version! It sure does the job. You really struck silver on your treasure hunt too! Great finds! Thanks for sharing it at the Rock N Share! Blessings, D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bar Keepers is great. I was so surprised when I saw the liquid version. I go through a lot of this stuff. It is awesome. My treasures were great even before the cleaned them.
      Thanks for stopping by,
      Bev

      Delete
  12. I have used this liquid on pottery, dishes, porcelain, padlocks,keys, anything really dirty/rusty from flea mkts/estate sales, but always pulled out silver polish for the "silver stuff". I am going to try this next time & also shine up my stainless sink tomorrow with it! I LOVE that tray you got - love it! I cannot believe the after photo of the candle stick holder - wow!! Thanks for the tips ... Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,
      I was the same way, used it on all other surfaces and then I tried it on silver and brass and was so delighted. I'm sure you will love the results. The candlestick was the most dramatic change.I loved it.
      Thanks for commenting and stopping by,
      Bev

      Delete
  13. Hi Marti,
    Wow, that is fabulous. I am so excited to be chosen as a feature. Thanks to you and all of my blogger friends.
    Have a great Sunday,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this stuff! We have hard water and I thought I had ruined our toilet after scraping hard water crust off the porcelain. (Yes, I just admitted how ucky it was!) Anyway, after "cleaning" the crust the porcelain was covered in scribbly, black scratches that wouldn't come off. Bar Keeper's Friend erased the scratches like chalk on a chalkboard. I was so relieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyndee,
      Wow, I would not have thought to try it on the toilet. Maybe we should compile a list of "uses" for Bar Keepers Friend like they do with duck tape :)
      Thanks for sharing your idea with Bar Keepers - it gets better all the time.
      Have a great week,
      Bev

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...