I didn't take time to check it out the piece, we just stuff it in the car. It turned out to be a solid piece but way too "heavy looking".
At first, I wasn't sure if I really wanted to update the piece.
It was quite a heavy piece, but in good shape.
The top had this leather insert. (Sorry about the picture.)
They must have used it for some electronics with the holes in the back.
The inside was rather messy but nothing some clean up and paint wouldn't fix. The boards were actual wood and not pressed wood.
I removed the back and bought a new piece for it, around $4.
Next I removed the cabinet doors and the knobs. The doors had these inserts, so I removed them and then painted the doors and the cabinet with CeCe Caldwell's Vintage White.
After the paint dried I applied dark aging wax to the piece. Because the wood already had cuts and marks as part of the wood grain, it create great places for the dark wax to go.
To give some airiness to the doors, I replaced the wooded inserts with chicken wire.
Here is the finished piece. It looks so much better.The top already was in good shape and I just cleaned it up.
Here is my before and after pictures.
I was so glad that I had stopped to pick up this piece. I needed a piece to hold our TV in our bedroom. I love to read so the bottom contains books I haven't read yet. The top is for the ones I have finished reading. When the top gets full, I donate them.
Linking to these parties: