FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Baskets from the Junk Pile

Monday, January 28, 2013

Baskets from the Junk Pile

We have bulk pickup here once a month, where you can put out almost anything. Sometimes you can find some good things. Our neighbor is moving and after having a garage sale, put many items out for bulk pickup. I hate to have items going to landfills when they could be re-purposed.  I find it difficult to pass up good items. I found three planters, a picture frame, she gave me a hutch (needs a lot of work - will see it later), a bed frame(at another house), and a hugh clock face at another house. Great finds - what a week!

First to be finished were the three planters. I have pictures of the two wicker types, but I don't know what happened to the third original picture. 

Blue Wicker Basket with Decoupage prints


This was one of two wicker baskets that I salvaged from the "dump" so to speak. There were two of them - the smaller one fit inside of the larger one. This is what they looked like.

Wicker basket before being painted
Wicker basket before being painted

They were not something that I really liked, so I thought I would paint them. I decided to dry brush the baskets with some blue paint I had on hand. 

Wicker basket after being dry brush painted

Wicker basket after being dry brush painted
I liked the look of the baskets once I had dry brushed them. I let some of the golden color shine through. What else could I do to the baskets? I had these Decoupage prints that I purchased about 15 years ago at some place in Ohio. They would work. I cut them out and then used Mod Podge (matte finish) to attach them to the baskets. I covered the images in Mod Podge. I may add a varnish over the baskets, but not sure yet.

Decoupage prints - Magnolia

Once completed, I added flowers and placed the small one on the deck in front of my small yellow table. I am not sure what I am doing with the large basket yet.

Wicker Basket in front of Yellow Table
Here is the small and large one after they were completed. 

Two Wicker Baskets after being painted and Decoupaged

For the third basket, it was metal and had gold palm trees on it. They had to go! I spray painted it black. 

Metal basket after spray painted black

I wish I had an original picture, because this was the best makeover. I added some
Decoupage prints to this one as well. Then I decided to add some color to the legs and the handles. I painted them gold. This was really a trash to treasure project.


Black Metal Basket Decoupaged with Magnolias
I have not decided what to do or where to place it yet. If you have any ideas, let me know.
You never know what you are going to find on "junk" day !
Even items that you may not like, become treasures, once they are re-purposed.


Linking up to these parties:



My Blog Skip To My LouPJH DesignsPhotobucket/Mod Vintage LifeMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaOur Delightful Homekatherines corner


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...