FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Rustic Turkey Salt and Pepper Shakers

Friday, November 9, 2012

Rustic Turkey Salt and Pepper Shakers

rustic ceramic turkey salt and pepper shakers
Rustic Ceramic Turkey Salt and Pepper Shakers
Rustic Ceramic Turkey
Rustic Ceramic Turkey from Pottery Barn
I was looking through one of my favorite magazines, Pottery Barn and saw this picture of a Rustic Ceramic Turkey, which is no longer available. I fell in love with it, but it cost $159 - too expensive for me. 

So I wondered if I could re-create this look. I didn't want to buy a large ceramic turkey to experiment on and as luck would have it, I found a set of rustic ceramic turkey salt and pepper shakers at a garage sale for 50 cents. What did I have to loose!



ceramic turkey salt and pepper shakers
Ceramic Turkey Salt and Pepper Shakers
ceramic turkey salt and pepper shakers, side views
Ceramic Turkey Salt and Pepper Shakers-Side View

They were rather cute in their natural state, but I wanted to paint them.  So I spray painted them with  Rust-Oleum Satin Heirloom White spray paint.

This created a nice soft white on the shakers. After they were painted, I used sand paper - fine grit, and began to sand off some of the areas.



Here they are after I sanded them. 

painted rustic ceramic turkey salt and pepper shakers
Rustic Painted Turkey Salt and Pepper Shakers
painted rustic ceramic turkey salt and pepper shakers, side view
Side View of Painted Ceramic Turkeys
I placed them with a white iron stone vase that I filled with fall berries and some small ceramic gourds that I purchased at the Vermont Bobbin Company.

white iron stone vase with ceramic gourds and fall berries
White Ironstone Vase with Small Ceramic Gourds

I am happy with how the salt and pepper shakers turned out and now I'm on the hunt for a large ceramic turkey, like the one at Pottery Barn to convert. Wish me luck!
rustic ceramic turkey salt and pepper shakers
Rustic Painted Turkey Salt and Pepper Shaker Display


Post on Chic on a Shoestring - Flaunt it Friday













No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...