I first saw these hand pies over at The Stone Gable. Yvonne made hers with fresh strawberries. You can see how she made them here.
I decided to use blueberries, but instead of just adding the blueberries fresh, I decided to create a cooked blueberry filling. The filling is like a pie filling so you could use it in a pie as well.
If you did not want to make homemade pie crust, you could always use store bought pie crusts.
You could even add different fruit. So many possibilities.
Blueberry Individual Pies
Blueberry Pie Filling
2 containers fresh blueberries
½ TBSP vinegar
¼ - ½ cups water
¼ - ½ cups sugar
1 TBSP cornstarch
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 In large bowl soak blueberries in water and vinegar for about 5 minutes to clean. Rinse well with cool water; drain and set aside.
2 In a pot over medium high heat combine ¼ - ½ cups, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
3 Add blueberries and stir to coat. Cook on medium low heat for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
4 Allow blueberries to cool.
Blueberry Crust Recipe:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks) cut into small cubes
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
1 egg, lightly beaten
sanding sugar (or regular sugar)
1. Add 2 1/2 cups of flour, salt, 1 tsp sugar and butter in the bowl of a processor. Whirl until mixture resembles coarse meals, about 8-10 seconds.
2. With the machine running, add the ice water in a slow stream through the feed tube. Pulse the dough just until it holds together. Do not add too much water or the dough will be sticky… and you don’t want sticky dough. Squeeze a small amount of dough together and if it is crumbly add just a little more water.
3. Divide the dough in two and form into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
5. Divide each plastic wrapped disc into 3 equal parts and rolled each out. I cut each pie dough into 5 inches in diameter. You can use a bowl to score the dough.
6. Place 2 TBS of blueberries on 1/2 of each round.
7. Brush the egg wash around the edges of the rounds, fold the rounds over to create half moons.
8. Use a fork and go around the edge of the pie to seal it.
9. Cut vents in the pies with a sharp knife.
10. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle liberally with sugar.
11. Put the pies on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet.
12. Bake for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden brown.
13. Remove from oven and transfer the hand pies to a wire rack.
Linking to these parties: