I know that there are many versions of this recipe, so why mine? I am hoping that my version with a little less sauce and slightly crunchy chicken will entice you to try it.
The recipe goes together quickly and makes a great meal. Add pasta and a salad and dinner is ready!
The cheese on top was the best part. My friend from Italy brought me a 3 pound block of Parmigiano Reggiano a couple of months ago.
OMG, I can't begin to tell you how incredible the taste was compared to some of the ones you buy here in the U.S. I couldn't use it all so I shredded it and put it in the freezer.
So when I made the Chicken Parmesan, I used a little mozzarella and a lot of the Parmigiano Reggiano. Wow, is all I can say.
It was the best Chicken Parmesan I have ever made. My husband was in heaven. I know, you don't have any Parmigiano Reggiano from Italy. Not to worry just use a good Parmesan cheese and your dish will be great.
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Chicken Breasts Boneless Skinless
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 cups panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or more if needed
1 cup olive oil for frying
1/2 cup prepared tomato sauce
1/4 cup fresh mozzarella, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese (or more)
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of waxed paper and pound chicken to a thickness of 1/2-inch.
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Mix bread crumbs and 1/2 cup Parmesan in a separate bowl, set aside.
- Add salt and pepper to flour on plate or pan.
- Dip chicken into flour mixture, coating each side.
- Dip flour coated chicken breast in beaten eggs. Transfer chicken to breadcrumb mixture, pressing the crumbs into both sides. Repeat for each breast. Set aside breaded chicken breasts for about 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 cup olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer. Cook chicken until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. The chicken will finish cooking in the oven.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and top each breast with about ⅓ - ½ cup of tomato sauce. Layer each chicken breast with equal amounts of mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and fresh basil (if you want).
- Sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese on top and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is browned and bubbly.
Linking to these parties: