FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Dressing Up Grandma's Cutting Board

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Dressing Up Grandma's Cutting Board

What a week I have had, the flu caught up with me and took me down. All I wanted to do was to crawl in bed and sleep. However, the dogs had other ideas. We spend a lot of time outdoors and they wanted to be outside. They were not sick.

When the dogs were little, I taught them to ring a bell, tied to the door handle, when they had to go to the bathroom. Well, that bell was ringing off the handle.  Every time I would lie down on the sofa, the bell would ring. After a few days, the bell came down.

I did manage to work on this cutting board that was my grandma-in-law's. 
Eclectic Red Barn: Flowering Cutting Board


As you may know, I am very sentimental and love to surround myself with mementos from family members. I have had this cutting board for so many years, it's sad. I kept moving it around, trying to decide what to do with it. Years ago I had stained it, but it didn't do anything for me so back in the closet it went.
Eclectic Red Barn: Stained and not so pretty

Then I began to see all the fabulous images at The Graphics Fairy. I thought this might be the way to go. 

I love to use joint compound for projects, like my Fall Plaque.  So I thought I would add some flowers to the cutting board. I found a stencil and taped it to the board and then applied the joint compound. 
Once it was dry, I painted it with antique white chalk paint. Off to the Graphics Fairy for a graphic. I thought about using something related to food, but since I had added the flowers, I decided to use something about flowers. This one is about a flower seller.
I used the freezer paper method for this project.  You can find 12 methods for transferring images over at the Graphics Fairy. I have to admit that I practiced a couple of times on scrap boards trying to get it right.


After I applied the graphic, I aged the piece with aging wax.  You have to be careful not to rub off the image. I decided to put it in my kitchen after all. Now she will always be with me in the kitchen.
Eclectic Red Barn: Flowering Cutting Board
 p.s. Those are the last of my pineapples from my garden. Very late this year but yummy!


Linking to these parties:
 {nifty button}Inspire Me MondayThe Chicken ChickOne Project at a Time Link party - ABFOLOur DelightfulHomeAntique, Vintage and Repurposed Decor Knick of Time Tuesday link party at KnickofTimeInteriors.blogspot.comMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaA Stroll Thru LifeFluster BusterWhat did you makeHouse on the WayIvy and ElephantsPhotobucketYour Whims WednesdayFabuslously creative friday link ypartyPrototype Mama>Practically Functional Link PartyIn and Out of the Kitchen Link Party

12 comments :

  1. WOW, that is some transformation. I love that. I've been wanting to try your joint compound technique but I keep forgetting to pick some up when I'm out at the stores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Hope you are feeling better and have a blessed week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this. I have some vintage cutting boards, but nothing as special as this. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, the transformation of this is amazing! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The board looks wonderful, what a great job you did on this,, and the cool thing is the board can come out of the closet and be seen every day...love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! And I love the french writing! I've used that one myself!
    Misty @Through the Dutch Door

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing dear...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Thanks for sharing at the Twirl & Take a Bow Party! Have a great day.
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear you've been sick...not fun. The plaque turned out lovely. I've always wanted to try my hand at that raised stencil. I love the dimenstion it adds. Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this idea. Like you I love some of the old "kitchen gadgets" I've inherited over the years and dressing them up always brings new life to them.

    Thanks for linking up with us over at That Fresh Friday

    ReplyDelete
  11. This came out so cute. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned Link Party. Have a great Thanksgiving.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...