FFf Eclectic Red Barn: How NOT to Paint Decals

Monday, July 8, 2013

How NOT to Paint Decals

So have you ever found a neat piece of furniture but it has a decal that can't be removed or a metal container that has a decal. You want to paint them, but how NOT to paint the decals. Never fear, it is actually easier than you think. I found this metal watering can at a garage sale for a $1. Nothing very exciting, but knew I could paint it. However, it had this "metal decal" and I didn't want to paint that.

Eclectic Red Barn: How NOT to paint decals
This watering can had some rust but since I was going to paint it, it didn't matter.

Eclectic Red Barn: Metal watering can with decal
Loved the decal, but it was riveted on.
Eclectic Red Barn: Metal watering can with decal that is riveted on
Problem: How to paint the watering can without painting the decal?
You probably already have what you need in your cupboard - Vaseline. Yes, good old cheap Vaseline!
Eclectic Red Barn: Using Vaseline to NOT paint something  
I use the cheap brand for projects like these. There are probably other products you can use, but this works for me and I always have it on hand.

You will also need a small paint brush to apply the Vaseline to the area where you don't want the paint to stick. 
Eclectic Red Barn: Applying Vaseline to decal

Apply the Vaseline all over the area, in this case my decal. Make sure to cover the sides as well and use enough to coat all areas. After you have painted your piece, use a cloth to wipe off the Vaseline. If any paint gets on the Vaseline it will come right off. 


Eclectic Red Barn: Painted watering can, but not the decal
Once I had it completed, I felt that it needed something else. I put some white paint on some crumpled waxed paper and dabbed it on the piece. I didn't want too much just some white highlights. 


Eclectic Red Barn: Blue painted watering can with added white paint
I have used Vaseline on furniture decals as well. Apply it anywhere, where you don't want paint to adhere. You can use wax on furniture and it will do the same thing. I have never try wax on decal, since it is easier to smear the Vaseline. Have you used something else?
Linking to these parties:

Monday2 Make the Scene Monday # 82Our DelightfulHomeThe Dedicated HouseMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaThe ScoopOne Project at a Time Link party - ABFOLFluster BusterYour Whims WednesdayThe DIY Dreamerlinkybutton22All Things Thursday Blog HopReal Family Fun Wednesdays at The Real Thing with the Coake FamilyGingerly Madekatherines cornerFrench Country CottageThrifty Things FridayWillamette Valley Wonder Woman ThePinJunkieShabbilicious FridayThe Fun In Functional link party @ Practically Functional YOUR BLOG NAME It's Overflowing


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...