When I found this rocking chair last year at my in-laws flea market, it was in such bad shape that they were just going to throw it out. Thinking someone might want it, they priced it at $2. Needless to say, or great for me, it didn't sell.
We stopped by around noon, when everything was half price. At $1 I knew I wanted it, actually I wanted it at $2. They laughed as usual at what I am willing to take home. The seat was cracked completely in half, the veneer on the arms was almost gone and it needed to be glued in more places than I could count. Oh, the challenge!
It sat in the garage for almost a year and then I said, "I need to get this done". I removed the loose veneer from the arms, which really wasn't a problem. I glued the seat together and clamped it. As I glued the seat, I realized that so many other parts needed to be glued as well - on the arms, legs, spindles, top of rocker, back part, side part, and just about every part in between. When I was done gluing, I had used 23 clamps to try and hold it together(out of clamps).
Unfortunately I can't find my picture with all the clamps. This picture was taken after it had been glued and sanded. Great detailing on the back of the rocker. It actually doesn't look bad at this time compared to the day I bought it.
Now the fun part, painting. I used Ce Ce Caldwell Chalk paint in vintage white. Here it is after two coats of paint. (and all of my junk in the garage lol!)
I applied aging wax and then distressed it. Love the detail on the top.
I placed it in the corner of the bedroom and added a vintage basket with dried hydrangeas and a hand woven blanket I purchased in Massachusetts.
On the wall I hung two vintage frames with silk flowers and ribbon.
Somehow I didn't see pictures in them and was so glad I went with flowers instead.
My rocking chair and all of its parts.
Hope you enjoyed my rocking chair make over!