FFf Eclectic Red Barn: New Life for A Broken Rocking Chair

Thursday, May 9, 2013

New Life for A Broken Rocking Chair

I was featured!
When I found this rocking chair last year at my in-laws flea market, it was in such bad shape that they were just going to throw it out. Thinking someone might want it, they priced it at $2. Needless to say, or great for me, it didn't sell.

Eclectic Red Barn: Rescued Rocking Chair with Vintage Basket and Frames

We stopped by around noon, when everything was half price. At $1 I knew I wanted it, actually I wanted it at $2. They laughed as usual at what I am willing to take home. The seat was cracked completely in half, the veneer on the arms was almost gone and it needed to be glued in more places than I could count. Oh, the challenge!

It sat in the garage for almost a year and then I said, "I need to get this done". I removed the loose veneer from the arms, which really wasn't a problem.  I glued the seat together and clamped it. As I glued the seat, I realized that so many other parts needed to be glued as well - on the arms, legs, spindles, top of rocker, back part, side part, and just about every part in between. When I was done gluing, I had used 23 clamps to try and hold it together(out of clamps).

Unfortunately I can't find my picture with all the clamps. This picture was taken after it had been glued and sanded. Great detailing on the back of the rocker. It actually doesn't look bad at this time compared to the day I bought it.

Eclectic Red Barn: Rescued rocking chair after being glued

Now the fun part, painting. I used Ce Ce Caldwell Chalk paint in vintage white. Here it is after two coats of paint. (and all of my junk in the garage lol!)

Eclectic Red Barn: Rescued rocking chair painted vintage white
I applied aging wax and then distressed it. Love the detail on the top.

Eclectic Red Barn: Top Back of rescued rocking chair- destressed

I placed it in the corner of the bedroom and added a vintage basket with dried hydrangeas and a hand woven blanket I purchased in Massachusetts.

Eclectic Red Barn: Rescued rocking chair with basket and blanket

On the wall I hung two vintage  frames with silk flowers and ribbon. 

Eclectic Red Barn: Vintage picture frames with silk flowers

Somehow I didn't see pictures in them and was so glad I went with flowers instead.

Eclectic Red Barn: Rocking chair - before and after pictures
My rocking chair and all of its parts.

Eclectic Red Barn: Rocking chair -collage of items

I love how it turned out and it looks great in the bedroom. My in-laws could not get over the makeover.
Eclectic Red Barn: Rescued Rocking Chair with Vintage Basket and Frames

Hope you enjoyed my rocking chair make over!

Linking up to these parties:
TTF CoHost 1 Mustard Seed Creations Furniture Feature FridayRooted In ThymeLink-Party-ButtonToo Much Time On My HandsIt's OverflowingOne More Time EventsMonday2 Make the Scene Monday # 74Inspire Me Mondaymop it up mondaysThe Girl CreativeOur DelightfulHomePJH Designs”Monday The DIY DreamerWednesdays @ 7pm CST:Hickory Trail DIY Show Off


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...