FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Hubby's Birthday Cake

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hubby's Birthday Cake

Stephanie posted these money bouquets that she made for birthday gifts. I thought they were so cute. You can read more about her money bouquets at The Enchanted Rose. I put them in my memory for future birthday ideas.

Yesterday was my husband's birthday. We do not get much into gifts these days, but I wanted to do something special - make him a cake.  His favorite is devil's food with chocolate butter cream frosting. Nothing fancy! But what to put on top?


Then I remembered Stephanie's money bouquets and it gave me an idea. The only paper punch I had was this 2 inch one. So I punched out some circles out of colored paper.


Eclectic Red Barn: 2 inch decorative punch

The only problem was they were circles. So I took one of them and cut out every other section. Then I laid it on top of a solid circle. I added brads to the centers. Yeah, flowers!

I had these sticks from making candy, so I used them.

Eclectic Red Barn: wooden candy sticks

I fastened them around the back of the stick and using a pair of pliers squeezed the brads tight on the back.

Eclectic Red Barn: Attaching brads to wooden sticks

They still needed something and since I wasn't attaching money, I thought I would attach some ribbon. Then I decided to write some words on the ribbon. I used a magic marker to write the words, I Love you, Happy Birthday, Always and Forever, etc. 


I hot glued these to the sticks.

Eclectic Red Barn: Flowers with ribbon and lettering

Eclectic Red Barn: Flowers with ribbon and lettering 
He loved his cake. Now my husband likes devil's food cake for a reason. He takes a slice of cake, adds vanilla ice cream and then proceeds to mush it up until it no longer resembles a slice of cake, but ice cream with bits of cake in it. Everyone just laughs at his concoction. 


Eclectic Red Barn: Birthday cake with paper flowers and ribbon
Hey , it's his birthday. He can eat cake anyway he wants to. Right!

Linking up to these parties:
WW ButtonOur DelightfulHome


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...