It is like deep dish pizza but has more filling. My family loves this and requests it often.
I will show you the basic steps and then list the recipe below.
You start with a loaf of Italian bread. Cut it in half.You will toast the bread in a 450 degree oven for 5-8 minutes. It should lok like this when it is done being toasted.
Heat a skillet over medium to high heat. Add items 1-5 from the recipe and it should then look like this.
Fill the bread with the meat sauce and then top with the cheeses.
Broil until the cheese melts. Be careful not to burn the bread.
Add the basil and serve with a side salad. I didn't have any fresh basil so I left this out.
Now the recipe: print this recipe
Bolognese Bread Pizza
1 long loaf, 20 - 24 inches Italian bread, day old is fine
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 slices pancetta or bacon (sometimes I leave this out)
2 pounds of ground beef (I use ground turkey)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 medium yellow onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
Coarse black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon allspice
½ cup red wine
½ cup beef stock
1 jar spaghetti sauce
Handfull fresh parsley
1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded or thinly sliced
¼ cup Parmigiano or Romano cheese
1 cup fresh basil, 20 leaves shredded
Heat oven to 450 degrees.
Split bread lengthwise giving you two halves. Hollow out some of the inside bread. Lightly crisp bread in oven, 5-8 minutes. Remove bread and switch to broiler on.
1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add extra virgin olive oil, and add pancetta or bacon until crisp.
2. Add the meat and break into smaller pieces. let the meat caramelize 1-2 minutes without stirring.
3. Add garlic, onions and carrots and season with lots of coarse pepper and some salt.
4. Add Worcestershire and allspice and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add spaghetti sauce, wine and stock. Cook until well blended.
6. Fill bread and top with a thin layer of mozzarella and a sprinkle of Parmigiano or romano cheese.
7. Broil the pizza to melt the cheese.
8 Top with basil and serve.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. Bon Appetite!
Linking up to these parties: