FFf Eclectic Red Barn: From Crappy to Adorable

Monday, March 25, 2013

From Crappy to Adorable

What a cute little stool this turned out to be. However, when I first saw this stool, I didn't give it much thought. My in-laws neighborhood was having a flea market at their club house. I picked up a couple of things and looked at this stool and said, "I don't know". 

Eclectic Red Barn: Updated Stool with Yardsticks and some Easter Items
Near the end of the sale, everything was half price. I kept walking pass this stool and finally said, why not. It was 50 cents. I also got a rocker for $1.00, you will see that in a later post.
As you can see, it needed some lovin.Eclectic Red Barn: Before image of stool with broken tile top
It was probably handmade and it was very sturdy. They placed a 12 inch peel-n-stick tile on the top that was coming off. I had such a mess trying to get the tile off. The glue was everywhere. I used a glue gun on the tile to try and lift it off and that made it worse.

Eclectic Red Barn: Removing tile from top of stool
Finally, the tile was all off. I sanded the top it get it somewhat smooth.  After it was sanded, I painted the entire stool with some leftover red paint. I wasn't careful because I wanted some of the wood to show through.

I had some yard sticks from Home Depot - my vintage ones are for another project. I stained them in a cherry stain and applied them so the seams are in a staggered pattern.

Eclectic Red Barn: Applying yardsticks to painted stool

 I clamped the end to hold that piece while I glued the rest of the pieces. When the top was done, I clamped both ends in place.

Eclectic Red Barn: Yardsticks clamped to top of stool
Now it was a really cute stool. So why not put some Easter items on it. 


The Easter blocks are really special. I purchased them from a lady who was commissioned by Disney to paint some of there items. I have had them a long time and she has since passed away. I also have a set of larger blocks that have Christmas scenes on them.

Eclectic Red Barn: Hand painted Easter blocks
  I think they are so pretty. 
Well, I know how you like the before and after shots, so here is mine.
Eclectic Red Barn: Before and after on yardstick stool
For 50 cents, and three yard sticks from Home Depot. I love how it turned out. 

Lining up to these parties:
Through My Creative MindMonday2 Make the Scene Monday # 67mop it up mondaysThrough My Creative Mind The Chicken ChickPractically FunctionalPJH DesignsA Diamond in the StuffMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia homeworkThe DIY DreamerPhotobucket>katherines cornerMom On Timeout Practically Functional


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...